[GRASS5] Using CVS to manage "experimental" vs. "stable" trees

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 23 16:32:56 EDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 02:23:17PM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >>	2) All history will be lost as files are copied from grass
> >>          over to grass5.
> >

> >If you not the revision, it still can be tracked.
> >But not as easily with automatic tools as before.

> If the majority of moving stuff to the 5.1 tree is done in one big batch,

It probably isn't.

> can't someone at Intevation just do the copying by copying over the ,v files
> from the old tree to the appropriate location in the new tree thereby
> preserving all the history?

We possibly could if we really need it. I advise against it, though.
Not all files will just be copied, but have parts reassembled.

> It would be a pity to lose all the history, especially since we don't keep
> log entries in the code.

We will not loose the history.
When importing a file you should note where it was taken from
in the grass5 tree.

It is my experience that after a major revision
detailed information about each revision is wanted in rare cases.
It will be feasble to ask the grass5 tree about it then.