[GRASS5] ProgmanGrass: unsuitable format?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Apr 24 08:16:42 EDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:00:39PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:40:42PM +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> > I would like to know if it's possible to get (or generate)
> > an HTML version of the Grass programmer's manual, since the pdf version
> > is a nightmare when it comes to browse and find function definitions...
> > a frame based version with a frame for the index and a frame
> > for the contents would be the best, but something like the grass
> > manual would be very useful too...
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> that's no problem: Just run
>   make html
>
> then latex2html is created an HTML version of that book.

A follow-up:

a major drawback of the HTML conversion is that latex2html does
not know about the \Gfunc{} macro - subsequently all functions
are not visible. If we find someone to add this macro definition
to latex2html, we are ready to publish it online.

An example for this Latex macro:

\Gfunc{char *}{G\_ask\_vector\_in\_mapset (char *prompt, char *name)}{prompt
  for an existing vector file}{Asks the user to enter the name of an
  existing vector file in the current mapset.}

\Gfunc{return type}{Function}{short description}{long description}

For volunteers:
http://www.latex2html.org/

Maybe it's easy to add this definition, but I don't have time for that
now.

Markus