[GRASS5] Script to build babyGRASS for handhelds

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Apr 29 13:08:58 EDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:12:36PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > for amusement I wrote attached script to compile
> > a babyGRASS from a standard GRASS 5 source code version.
> >
> > It will generate a few important commands based on shared GRASS
> > libraries. The size is 2.8MB on Linux.
>
> If you're looking to save memory, generate stripped binaries, e.g.
>
> 	LDFLAGS=-s ./configure ...
>
> You could also try optimising for size:
>
> 	CFLAGS=-Os LDFLAGS=-s ./configure ...

Thanks for the hint - the size is shrinked by around 50% to
1.7MB.

If anyone else is interested, I have another script now to
extract babyGRASS from a common code directory into a new
tarball. Also the compile script is improved. Let me know,
then I send it to you.

Currently we cannot login into the Skiff cluster (down), otherwise
inital GRASS/iPAQ binaries would probably already available.

Cheers

 Markus