[GRASS5] Glynn: Please branch. Rest: Hold Committs.

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 30 13:36:31 EDT 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > What purpose does the head serve now?
>
> It will be the base for further releases on the 5.0.x series,
> which should be stable series for GRASS.
>
> > Shouldn't ongoing development be moving to 5.1?
>
> If the changes planned by the development are more substaintial, yes.
> Minor fixes and enhancements can go in HEAD for 5.0.x.

If the head is the 5.0.x series, the definition of "minor" needs to
include complete backward compatibility with 5.0.0. IMHO, it's
essential that we can produce bug-fix releases which don't break
*anything*.

In that sense, an "enhancement" is only an enhancement if *nobody*
will want the un-enhanced behaviour. We don't want a site being unable
to install a bug-fix release because it will break their scripts,
course notes etc.