[GRASS5] compiling GRASS5 cvs

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Aug 8 14:46:53 EDT 2002

John Vo wrote:

> First of all, I am a beginner with using UNIX and GRASS5. I have
> downloaded the GRASS5 CVS because I would like to work with the 3D
> visualization environment. My system is Windows 2000 and using the CYGWIN
> emulator.

In order to use NVIZ, you need Cygwin's XFree86 package. You also need
an X-compatible version of Tcl/Tk, from:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz

[Cygwin's supplied Tcl/Tk package isn't compatible with X, and won't
work with NVIZ.]

> Basically I am having problems with the installation of GRASS5.
>
> So far, I have downloaded the grass5 cvs source, extracted it to the
> folder /opt/grass5sources, and ran the ./configure command. The configure ran
> smoothly but ended with the following error:
>
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate XDR functions.

You need the "sunrpc" package, from:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/sunrpc/sunrpc-4.0.cygwin1.bin.tar.gz

> When I try continuing on with the make, typing "make" at the $ prompt gave
> the following message:
>
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

The Makefile is generated by configure. If configure aborts due to an
error, no Makefile is generated and compilation won't work.