[GRASS5] Objections to release 5.0.0stable?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 15:02:35 EDT 2002

Don't want to put a dampener on things but I just wanted to point out that
I think the definition of a release-critical bug seems very vague:
(from http://grass.itc.it/codemanagement.html )

A bug is critical (RT: priority 51..100), when it

1) breaks other software on the system (or the whole system), or causes
serious data loss, or introduces a security hole on  systems where you
install the package.
2) bug was not present in previous version (features known to be working in
previous versions are broken now).

In my opinion, point 2 covers a large number of things that aren't in the
bug tracker but I regularly read on the mailing list people complaining
about modules that haven't been updated to GRASS 5 and aren't working
properly. And a bug I put in the bug tracker about all the
snprintf() calls that weren't there before---not a problem for me---I can
work around it, but still without extra intervention it causes things to
break that worked only 6 or 7 months ago. Also the changes to SG3d I
mentioned in an e-mail to this list a while back regarding what I feel is
the wrong capitalisation of the GL includes directory being added in to
#include directives in some files only this year. I think I could probably
think of more examples of a type 2 release-critical bug if I tried.

I'm not suggesting stable shouldn't be released now; I think it's a good
idea to encourage more people to use it, but as an impartial onlooker I am
just a bit bemused at the very vague definition of release-critical bug
and its application to the GRASS 5 release.

I would be interested to hear some reaction to this but I hope and don't
intend it to start a big debate; I just wanted to get it off my chest :)

Paul