[GRASS5] Objections to release 5.0.0stable?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Aug 8 15:16:25 EDT 2002

Paul,

in the end, we the developers have to decide which bugs are release critical.
There is no way around. We could come up with a lot of definitions
which will not replace a wise release coordinator.

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 08:02:35PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I think the definition of a release-critical bug seems very vague:
> (from http://grass.itc.it/codemanagement.html )
>
> 1) breaks other software on the system (or the whole system), or causes
> serious data loss, or introduces a security hole on  systems where you
> install the package.

We do not have any of this.

> 2) bug was not present in previous version (features known to be working in
> previous versions are broken now).

This was meant for GRASS5.
Thus if pre5 breaks something that pre3 could do.

> In my opinion, point 2 covers a large number of things that aren't in the
> bug tracker but I regularly read on the mailing list people complaining
> about modules that haven't been updated to GRASS 5 and aren't working
> properly.

Not release critical as it never worked with GRASS 5 in the first place.

> And a bug I put in the bug tracker about all the
> snprintf() calls that weren't there before---not a problem for me---I can
> work around it, but still without extra intervention it causes things to
> break that worked only 6 or 7 months ago.

As snprintf() is a general problem which basically should be
solved when assembling the build environment. If we support all
c runtime-libraries there are, we never get any release out.
Thus we support modern ones and older ones if we have active
developers helping us with it.

Thus we cannot fix configuration bugs on platforms the active
developers do not have (or do not have enough knowledge with).
Thus I do not consider this release critical.

If you find more candidates for release critical bugs,
please let us know? :)