[GRASS5] Objections to release 5.0.0stable?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 13 11:50:31 EDT 2002

Radim Blazek wrote:

> > > Looks as not to be dangerous. Did someone test that new button?
> > > But I'm not shure.
> >
> > Not applied.
> >
> > The code does:
> >
> > 	d.mon PNG
> > 	<draw maps>
> > 	d.mon stop=PNG
> >
> > 1. If the PNG driver is already in use, this is bad.
>
> Was not so bad, but I added check for running PNG monitor (restarted).

However, if a partial image was already constructed within the PNG
driver, that would be written out as it stood (and the image file
would presumably be trashed by the new invocation), and cannot be
"resumed".

Ideally, one should be able to create a new PNG monitor dynamically.
This would require:

1. The ability to create monitors "on the fly", without them having to
be listed in etc/monitorcap. This encompasses the issue of generating
a monitor name which won't conflict with an existing monitor.

2. The ability to specify the name of the image file when starting the
monitor.

Obviously, this isn't going to happen for 5.0.0.