[GRASS5] Re: IRIX Binaries

Andreas Lange Andreas.C.Lange at GMX.de
Thu Aug 22 08:04:00 EDT 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi Paul
> (cc grass5, grasslist)
>
> thanks again for providing GRASS 5.0.0pre5 IRIX binaries!
> They are uploaded now to
>  http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/irix/
> (on the mirrors soon)
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 06:35:56PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Markus Neteler wrote:
> [...]
> > So to summarise my compliance:
> > everything except without dbm, postgres and odbc. Everything else that is
> > included by configure by default was compiled without errors. Also I
> > enabled motif so perhaps some extra modules compiled because of that; I'm
> > not sure. In addition, I included:
> > src.contrib/GMSL/SG3d
> > src.contrib/GMSL/sg4d
> > src.contrib/GMSL/g3d
> >
> > I included libgdal and stripped the binaries and everything else it says.
> > I installed it on another machine and checked NVIZ and SG3d as well as a
> > few simpler modules and it all seemed to be working.
> > So I think it is worth giving it a go and putting it up and see if you get
> > any feedback.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Let's hope for a positive feedback!

Hi all,

there are some problems with the binary (which i installed and tried to
test).

It is o32 (old library format), so it is not very useful for anyone
running IRIX 6.x.
I think only a very small minority still uses IRIX 5.x, SGI dropped even
support for 6.2 freeware.
It is compiled for the mips-2 architecture, i think one should compile
for mips-3 architecture, as the runtime of the modules will be less.

I am not able to start grass, as the keys <RET> and <ESC> do not work in
the entry screen. I think the reason is that a wrong library is
referenced (different versions of termcap/termlib and curses/ncurses on
5.x/6.x???). I tested on an Indy R5000 with IRIX 6.5 and most of the
freeware installed.

I collected a lot information on compiling on IRIX here:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/AndreasLange/grass/irix-grass.html
(It is partly outdated and obsolete).

I will assist in preparing the binary. But i have myself no c compiler
installed currently.
I think that the binary i tested should not be distributed to the
mirrors to save bandwith.

Andreas