[GRASS5] release branch testers wanted (tarball provided)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Aug 26 19:38:41 EDT 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> my build-script now compiles separated a 24bit PNG driver:

> I had to hardcode library paths inside

Hardcoding paths doesn't fix anything; it just makes it look that way
to you (because your /usr/local/lib/libgd.so is GD 2.x).

The right approach is to give the GD 2.x library a soname of
"libgd.so.2", by adding "-Wl,-soname,libgd.so.2" to the linking flags.

It should also have dependency information, which is obtained by
adding the necessary "-l" switches to the link command (although this
isn't strictly necessary; configure should handle all of the many
possible combinations of optional libraries).

Realistically, we need to provide a fixed version of GD 2.x along with
the 24-bpp version of the PNG driver.

The alternative is to simply state that GD 2.x is unsupported, until
either the GD developers fix the problems, or OS vendors start
shipping GD 2.x (the OS vendors will handle the version problems
themselves if the GD developers don't).