[GRASS5] Changes between current release branch and head

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Dec 2 12:11:20 EST 2002

Helena Mitasova wrote:

> d.leg.thin/d.legend - the most recent additions should be tested by few more
> people to get a greater variety of possible maps
> and all updates (inluding the latest by Hamish) should go to 5.0.1
> This is something that everybody needs right now.

I have some doubts about the most recent changes.

> r.mapcalc3 updates should be released with 5.0.1 - they are essential

But have they been tested thoroughly? r.mapcalc is an essential
module, so reliability is paramount.

> For a number of smaller updates of modules, like for v.in.dgn, r.neighbors, etc.
> I am sure that they would be useful but do we know whether at least one person
> besides the developer has tried it out to make sure that they work properly?
>
> Any suggestion on how to make sure that any addition to 5.0.1 gets tested
> at least by 3 independent developers? Or should we leave it for users?

Anything other than trivial bug fixes should be thoroughly tested. My
preference would be for 5.0.1 to only fix actual bugs. 5.0.0 won't
even compile for some users (MacOS X, gcc-3.x); IMHO, that should be
fixed before we risk introducing any new bugs.