[GRASS5] Re: Grass GUI

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 7 14:32:45 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 06:35:06PM +0000, Michel Wurtz wrote:
> > 1. Have you considered using WxWindows? This provides a layer on top
> > of the platform's native toolkit(s). This may provide better
> > integration than a toolkit which is built from scratch on top of the
> > platform's lowest-level components.
>
> Well, I've heard of, but have not studied it in details...

I also recommend wxwindows, especially in the wxpython case,
because you do not have to use the C++ interface.

> > 2. Qt requires C++, which is a disadvantage from a portability
> > standpoint. Also, I still don't quite understand TrollTech's licensing
> > position.
>
> It's quite complicated, and to be honest, I don't understand all :)

Only the version for X11 is Free Software.

All other versions are proprietory,
you can also get a proprietory version of X11.
This pretty much renders QT useless for cross platform Free Software.

	Bernhard