[GRASS5] Grass GUI

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 8 04:11:59 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:46:51PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> The way I see it, 5.0 gets released with (more or less) the existing
> display architecture. Once that's done, a new display architecture can
> be created, starting with a blank slate.

I agree.
We even might shift a complete new display system to be integrated
for the 5.3.x. development tree. This should not stop anybody from
trying to get something done.

> I would very much hope that any future architecture would support
> screen display, image creation and printing, and that it would do a
> reasonably good job of all of them, in spite of their differences.

Display postscript seems a good solution to me.

> It would be less than ideal if translucency was implemented in a
> way that didn't work well for printing.

We should ask the gnustep people how nice their display postscript
engine is, so far. As Raph Levien is lead maintainer for
ghostscript, they might get transparency within a reasonable timeframe.
Raph also develops libart, which would be used for any nice free
software vector rendering currently anyway.

The bad part about transparency is that there are probably a couple
of patents in the area which might impose a thread to free software
in the future.

	Bernhard

--
Professional Service for Free Software                   (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)