[GRASS5] Re: Grass GUI

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 8 04:00:59 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:55:20AM +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
> I was thinking
> too about the creation of a GUI for GIS software, but something
> more like to an ArcView clone than a combination of the various
> d.* commands.

Would be a topic for the freegis-list, too.

Note that Intevation has the beginning of this in the queue.
Crossplatform based on wxpython.
We'll probably publish it in March, but it is not our choice we have to
wait for a project to officially start.

Note that I think that there is a natural difference between GIS
functions and visualisation towards creating maps.
For me GRASS should stay on the GIS part and leave the cartography
to other tools. Sketch right now is the best choice for it.
Together with the cartography-plug-in you can use shapefiles.
Next we should find a way to attach attributes to the lines that
sketch can draw them with different symbols.

> And I was willing to develop it using the KFLog sources
> (www.kflog.de) that seems to have laid down the basic function
> for such a viewer, althought for a very specialized application.
> That is, a KDE application

> The beauty of open source is that maybe we can follow both routes,
> and have a truly cross-platform and standard GRASS interface and
> then something more tighly coupled with KDE, but at the same time
> better integrated with other tools

Sure, why not.
Take your time.

	Bernhard