[GRASS5] CVS snapshots / Web pages in CVS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 13 10:13:32 EST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 03:48:18PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Bernhard, please add for the
> > web/
> > directory in CVS the feature to send cvs-commit mails to
> > the commit mailing list.

Will see what I can do.

> > I have some conflict now which I cannot resolve any more
> > (suggestions welcome).

Check out a clean version of the subdirectory in question
somewhere. Make your changes and recommit.

> > Andreas (whomever applied the change):

cvs log    or the viewcvs interface should help you to find
excatly the right person. (I did not inquire.)

> > Sorry for the extra work. When the GRASS web pages in CVS will send
> > mails, I'll be aware of changes (the last two years I was the only
> > one to do this job... :-)

We'll get there.

> While we are on this topic, i think it would be very useful if some sort
> of automation (include files, date inclusion, etc) could be done with
> the web pages (e. g. m4 macros, WML or something similar). This would
> allow to update the web pages successively with style sheets, navigation
> aids and create a unified layout. Currently the web pages are a bit of a
> maze (the navigation, not the contents!).

We could install some preprocessing,
but we should be very careful to not make it too complicated.
I saw too many projects, where it got too complicated which
turned into a drawback.

Thus m4 macros and WML are out of the question,
they are generally too complicated.

Here are pointer for people to see what is available implemented
in python. PTL and Plow look interesting.
http://webware.sourceforge.net/Papers/Templates/

Note that we do not need a complete Framework, like:
 http://www.paul.boddie.net/Python/web_modules.html