[GRASS5] nviz / tcl compile problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Feb 13 15:00:51 EST 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > As far as I understand these files are not part of the binary distribution
> > > of tcl/tk. They only appear in the source packages.
> >
> > Well someone who wants to compile this part of GRASS,
> > also needs the development packages of tcl/tk.
> > There should be no need for GRASS to include them.
>
> Yes, but no. The tcl/tk include packages does unfortunately *not* include
> above files. That's why we have all the confusion. Means: The include
> package tcl-devel.rpm/tk-devel.rpm (or however it is called) lacks
> those files. This is a togl.c specific problem.

The problem is specific to creating new Tk widgets; this requires the
"internal" headers, while other uses of Tk only require tk.h.

Basically, the Tk packages available from Linux distribution vendors
don't usually include the header files which are necessary for
creating new widgets.

The only options for NVIZ are to either:

1. Require a working Tk development environment, including TkInt.h
etc; this will typically require the user to build Tk from source.

2. Supply the missing files for all common versions of Tk.