[GRASS5] nviz / tcl compile problem

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 13 16:38:48 EST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:32:59PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > The only options for NVIZ are to either:
> > >
> > > 1. Require a working Tk development environment, including TkInt.h
> > > etc; this will typically require the user to build Tk from source.
> >
> > Or at least get the right sources.
> >
> > > 2. Supply the missing files for all common versions of Tk.
> >
> > Then 1. is the better choice in my views.
>
> Here I disagree - 60-90% of the GRASS users won't be willing or able to
> compile the tcl/tk from scratch. That would be the way to loose a lot of
> friends when adding this dependency.

The mistake is at the tcl/tk site, hopefully they are loosing
friends then... We will loose friend if we add further maintenance
overhead for us and get even more bulkier in the end... :)

Seriously, they do not need to recompile.
They just need the right sources. We can offer a convinient package
with the headers, but the base line has to be that this is not GRASS' fault.

> > And tell the tcl/tk people and package maintainers about the problem.

> Probably better. But it will solve it only for the next year unless
> the old tcl/tk versions are swept away by evolution.

Convinient tarballs only containing the header files for _one_
tcl/tk versions might help here.

--
Professional Service for Free Software                   (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)