[GRASS5] nviz / tcl compile problem

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Feb 13 16:32:59 EST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:28:17PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:00:51PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > The problem is specific to creating new Tk widgets; this requires the
> > "internal" headers, while other uses of Tk only require tk.h.
> >
> > Basically, the Tk packages available from Linux distribution vendors
> > don't usually include the header files which are necessary for
> > creating new widgets.
> >
> > The only options for NVIZ are to either:
> >
> > 1. Require a working Tk development environment, including TkInt.h
> > etc; this will typically require the user to build Tk from source.
>
> Or at least get the right sources.
>
> > 2. Supply the missing files for all common versions of Tk.
>
> Then 1. is the better choice in my views.

Here I disagree - 60-90% of the GRASS users won't be willing or able to
compile the tcl/tk from scratch. That would be the way to loose a lot of
friends when adding this dependency.

> And tell the tcl/tk people and package maintainers about the problem.
Probably better. But it will solve it only for the next year unless
the old tcl/tk versions are swept away by evolution.

Markus