[GRASS5] GRASS internationalization

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Feb 27 10:35:20 EST 2002

Alex Shevlakov wrote:

> 2. Checks for gettext must be added to configure.in, and new include file
> 'glocale.h' should be  something like:

Can you commit that file? Currently, grass.postgresql fails to compile
as some of the source files contain:

	#include "glocale.h"

but that file doesn't exist.

> 3. Gmakefiles would have something like:
>
> LOCALEDIR = $(INST_DIR)/locale
> PACKAGE = "g.select.pg"
> DEFS = -Wall -DLOCALEDIR=\"$(LOCALEDIR)\" -DPACKAGE=\"$(PACKAGE)\"
> EXTRA_CFLAGS    = $(PQINCPATH) $(DEFS)
>
> (INST_DIR has to be added to 'head.in' for this).

Clearly PACKAGE may need to be defined in the individual Gmakefiles
(although it might be better to define it in a package-specific header
file, or even deduced at run-time from argv[0]), but LOCALEDIR should
be defined in config.h rather than in the Gmakefiles.

I'll change configure.in and src/include/config.h.in to define
LOCALEDIR automatically.

However, actually coding i18n support is usually less of an issue than
managing it. There needs to be some mechanism by which the message
catalogue maintainers are notified of changes to strings which have
localised variants.