[GRASS5] GRASS: make install problems

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 10 13:53:36 EST 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> now "my" user sent me the permissions:
> before:
>  -rw-r-----    1 root     root   /opt/grass5/tcltkgrass/script/gis_set.tcl
>  -rwxr-x--x    1 root     root   /opt/grass5/bin/tcltkgrass
>
> after:
>  -rw-r-----    1 root     users  /opt/grass5/tcltkgrass/script/gis_set.tcl
>  -rwxr-x--x    1 root     users  /opt/grass5/bin/tcltkgrass

My first thought would be that his umask was set to 027 when he
installed the source ("tar x", "cvs checkout/update"). tcltkgrass gets
execute permission added during the "compilation" phase, but a script
also needs read permission to work.

> Additionally all files in /opt/grass5/tcltkgrass/script
> except gis_set.tcl got the wrong owner.

Ownership isn't changed by the install. "tar x" will use the ownership
from the tar file when run as root.

> As this seems to happen on several machines, we should consider to
> modify the install script.

It may suffice to add:

	chmod -R ugo+rX ${INST_DIR}
	chown -R root ${INST_DIR} >& /dev/null

to the "install" target (the second command will fail if not run by
root).