[GRASS5] automatic build script

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Jan 12 16:49:21 EST 2002

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 06:40:50PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have written a short script to automate downloading of the sources,
> configure'ing, make'ing and uploading the final binary distribution to a
> server in pub/incoming.

that's great! Thanks a lot for the scripts.

> I'll check the script into CVS under tools later. This should work from
> a crontab entry, but it does not compile like outlined in the compile
> instructions (first building wihtout postgresql support, then compiling
> nviz separately, then ...).
>
> I have the following changes, which i want to ask your opinion:
> - adding a strip target to the Makefile.in
> (will be done with find . -type f -exec strip {} \;, as we do not use
> install to copy the binaries, this may corrupt all files if you have an
> unusual setup, eg. GNU gcc strip in path before system strip, but using
> system compiler)

I think that this can be done much easier (have added yesterday a related
comment to INSTALL:

[...]
A real fast GRASS version (and small binaries) will be created with
LDFLAGS set to "stripping":

CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure

This LDFLAGS hint I have also added to documents/release_rules.txt

> - adding a new target install-strip (this conforms to the usual GNU
> targets)
> - changing the name of the grass5install.sh script to
> grass5_${ARCH}_install.sh, so that it is not overwritten on uploading
> different builds and does not conflict with other files on the anon ftp
> server. It will be possible to see to which binary tarball the script
> belongs.

Yes, I agree. Seems to be too dangerous with the current name convention.

> Another problem is that the name of the source file changes for each
> release/CVS snapshot, but the old files are not preserved. This breaks
> all scripted builds, e. g. from FreeBSD ports (which does not work
> anymore, because the baylor ftp server is down (no route to host)). No
> idea how to solve this.

Mhhh, the problem is that some mirror sites only provide limited
space. That's why I don't keep the old versions (they are kept at
Baylor site) in grass.itc.it.
I am too lazy to always update the rsync configuration. Any other
possibilities which I don't know?

Markus