[GRASS5] automatic build script

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sun Jan 13 09:25:51 EST 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
> [...]
> I think that this can be done much easier (have added yesterday a related
> comment to INSTALL:
>
> [...]
> A real fast GRASS version (and small binaries) will be created with
> LDFLAGS set to "stripping":
>
> CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure
>
> This LDFLAGS hint I have also added to documents/release_rules.txt

I knew this already. But the problem is that the target "install-strip"
is impossible to implement if the stripping is done at compile time. I
think it is better to compile without stripping (to make debugging
possible) and to install for the binary distribution with install-strip
(as users usually have no need for debugging symbols).
The "normal" setup is that the programm "install" is used to install the
binary files, and this program has the option "-s" for stripping while
installing.

> > Another problem is that the name of the source file changes for each
> > release/CVS snapshot, but the old files are not preserved. This breaks
> > all scripted builds, e. g. from FreeBSD ports (which does not work
> > anymore, because the baylor ftp server is down (no route to host)). No
> > idea how to solve this.
>
> Mhhh, the problem is that some mirror sites only provide limited
> space. That's why I don't keep the old versions (they are kept at
> Baylor site) in grass.itc.it.
> I am too lazy to always update the rsync configuration. Any other
> possibilities which I don't know?

I think there is no optimal solution. We can not preserve the old
versions as tarballs, it should be possible to re-create them from CVS
anyhow. Perhaps the weekly CVS snapshot should be named always the same,
so that there is no need to update the build script. And we should watch
that the hostnames/paths do not change in future.

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net