[GRASS5] some thoughts

Bjorn Roald bjroald at online.no
Fri Jan 18 09:26:56 EST 2002

Friday, January 18, 2002 6:36 AM, Glynn Clements wrote

> Also, I'd just like to make clear my preferred approach regarding a
> user interfaces (graphical or otherwise).
>
> I'm definitely *not* aiming for a monolithic program, but something
> more akin to tcltkgrass, where "commands" (e.g. menu entries) would
> spawn separate executables.

My point is that layer 3 in my original posting should support this.  While
layer 2 basically are called from the higher (or outer) layers.  Whether
applications in layer 5, are monolithic or not - should be up to the
developer of such applications.

The goals for the GRASS team may then be to provide software in layers 1 to
4, and leave layer 5 class applications entirely up to others.  Having said
that, the goal for the robustness of layer 1 and 2 should be sufficient to
support monolithic application building.  This does not mean that routines
should never be able to give up.  A clean way of passing the problem to the
caller is all that is needed.  A system modelled after java/C++ exception
handling would do, but I am not familiar with any good way of doing this in
C.

----
Bjorn Roald