[GRASS5] Want GNU libavl ?

Andrea Aime aaime at libero.it
Mon Jan 21 14:33:21 EST 2002

Alle 19:12, lunedì 21 gennaio 2002, David D Gray ha scritto:

[...]

> Actually there is a simple binary tree from way back. Maybe a btree has
> been added recently, I don't know, but we do need better container
> support. I first came across this when I started on the import filters a
> couple years back. In fact I first linked the v.in.shape binary against
> Berkeley DB2 btree, which gave a good result, but introducing it at that
> time was potentially a large job, and there were questions of platform
> support and its a big package to bundle if it's to become a dependency.
>
> So I agree that a number of different containers could be included, and
> it would also be good to have some kind of uniformity in the interface
> to these, like a system of wrapper functions.

Yes, I fully agree in principle. The problem is that I'm not aware of any
C equivalent of the STL, I mean, a set of container classes with consistent
interfaces. The containers mentioned above are coming from two different
libraries (libavl, www.purists.org), and if we need some other data
structures some other sources
could be used, coming from more different plances (which may lead to more
confusion, at least in principle...)
Is there anyone who is aware of a usable (GPL'd, LGPL'd) container library
for the C programming language?
The only container library I'm aware of are for the C++ programming language,
the STL provided with libstdc++, the container library of the
WxWindows framework (based on macros rather than on templates) and
STLPort (www.stlport.org, not sure about the license, anyway it's still
an STL implementation...).
If I undestand correctly, the system of wrapper functions should be created
from the ground up, or we may accept the convention of a chosen library and
then adapt the other containers we need to these conventions...
Best regards
Andrea Aime