Programming language C vs c++ (was: [GRASS5] Want GNU libavl ?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 22 05:27:30 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:39:07PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> I know that we have this long-standing policy of preferring ANSI C as
> the central language for GRASS.

For many freshly founded Free Software-projects C still is the first
choice for a reason.

> But the truth is that few people _if
> any_ today in engineering, research, academia use C as the development
> language. It is almost universally C++ that is used.

I do not agree with the statement.
And even if I did I call it a mistake to bet on C++.
We can agree upon that this mistake is made by a large group of
people, though. There is no reason to repeat it.

Without going into the details I do not consider C++ a nice
programming language. There are also general doubts regarding
the object-orientated approach in computer science now.
It concerns databases and programming languages.

For a pointer to skepticsm regarding C++ see one of the
better "language discussions":

	http://www.advogato.org/article/207.html

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)