[GRASS5] Projection transform

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Wed Jan 23 08:46:40 EST 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:44:20AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> >
> > Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > > ...just an addition: There is also m.proj2 which is the command line
> > > version of m.proj.
> >
> > Is there any significant reason why these aren't cmd/inter versions of
> > a single program?
> >
> > Certainly, they have a lot of common code (geo_func.c and get_deg.c
> > are identical, process.c differs only in whitespace, get_stp.c differs
> > only due to debugging statements).
>
> I assume that the m.proj2 is intended to replace the m.proj
> (hi Bob). A cleanup is needed, such clones are not desired.
>
> Markus

Markus & Glynn;

Yes, m.proj2 was intended to replace m.proj. However, it does still need
lots of debugging and code cleaning. An inter version of it (seperate
directory) should not be necessary as the current version (m.proj2)
should work both ways. In other words with no options it will walk you
through the arguments.

Also, I should mention that m.ll2db is another coordinate conversion
program I added. It is based on m.ll2u, but instead gets proj info from
the current GRASS projection. It can replace m.ll2u, m.u2ll, and
possibly others. Essentially it will convert GRASS database units to and
from Lat. Long.. The idea was that where m.ll2db could not work (eg. XY,
or Lat. Long. proj) the user could use m.proj2. The code for this
program should (hopefully) be alot cleaner than m.proj2.

Hope this helps.

--
Bob Covill

Tekmap Consulting