[GRASS5] Projection transform

Morten Hulden morten at ngb.se
Wed Jan 23 09:47:27 EST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:44:20AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> >
> > Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > > ...just an addition: There is also m.proj2 which is the command line
> > > version of m.proj.
> >
> > Is there any significant reason why these aren't cmd/inter versions of
> > a single program?
> >
> > Certainly, they have a lot of common code (geo_func.c and get_deg.c
> > are identical, process.c differs only in whitespace, get_stp.c differs
> > only due to debugging statements).
>
> I assume that the m.proj2 is intended to replace the m.proj
> (hi Bob). A cleanup is needed, such clones are not desired.
>
> Markus

I hope anyone who tackles m.proj[2] will consider that there also is
common code with g.setproj.

A few years ago when I added support for more projections in g.setproj, I
also made corresponding changes in m.proj and merged the init routines
into the gis library. Now these program have started to drift apart again
- basic datum shift support has partially been added to g.setproj but not
to m.proj.

I believe , based on the similarity of the code and some old module
no longer present in the current distro, that in the ancient past (long
before I started to use grass) g.setproj and m.proj was the same program.

Morten Hulden