[GRASS5] GRASS in Debian

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jan 25 06:04:58 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:42:49AM +0100, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Il ven, 2002-01-25 alle 02:13, Markus Neteler ha scritto:
> > > Maybe some developer should give Federico a hand. I don't know if he
> > > know about this list.

> no. :)

Now you do. :)

> there some big problems in packaging grass. my pre-release of the deb
> some months ago did not attracted all the interest i though and there
> was just a couple of beta testers. with no input and not using grass
> full-time, its very difficult to make a good and releaseable package of
> such a big application.

The FreeGIS project has some experience in packaging GRASS, though in rpms.
We do not package every version for the CD, but the ones we package
can be used on Debian, too. We have mostly Debian GNU/Linux systems here.

However I still think that it is a good idea to make special topic
distributions, like the FreeGIS-CD instead of trying to include
"everything" in any Distribution. GIS is such a topic.
But Debian packages would be fine, too. :)

> > Looking at
> >  http://people.debian.org/~fog/
> > shows that he is obviously using beta8... That's a long time ago.
> > Maybe he wants to try pre3 :-) ?
>
> i'll base my next package on it and let you know.

The developer-lists probably counts as the proper upstream email
address.

	Bernhard

--
Professional Service for Free Software                   (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)