[GRASS5] configure goof?

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 22:48:16 EST 2002

Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> I've fixed the configure checks.
>>>
>>It's still picking up the headers in the /usr/local/include directory.
>>However if I disable these temporarily, the correct headers in
>>/usr/include are found.
>>

> I think that you're experiencing gcc's default header search path:
>
> 	/usr/local/include
> 	/usr/<platform>/include
> 	/usr/lib/gcc-lib/<platform>/<version>/include
> 	/usr/include
>
> If you install headers into /usr/local/include, they effectively
> supersede any corresponding headers in /usr/include. In general, don't
> install headers into /usr/local/include if you want to still be able
> to use the versions from /usr/include.
>
> You can force the addition of -I/usr/include with:
>
> 	--with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include

And therein lies the problem. It was my goof after all. I put
`--with-tcl-includes' instead of `--with-tcltk-includes', and so
happened as you describe. Presumably because, with so many variants of
Tcl/Tk around, I'm so used to it.

But that raises another question. Shouldn't configure stop if a
wrong option is supplied? I have seen that on many configure runs in the
past, with various projects' sources.

David