[GRASS5] configure goof?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jan 28 08:31:35 EST 2002

David D Gray wrote:

> But that raises another question. Shouldn't configure stop if a
> wrong option is supplied? I have seen that on many configure runs in the
> past, with various projects' sources.

The autoconf documentation says:

     `configure' scripts do not complain about `--with-PACKAGE' options
  that they do not support.  This behavior permits configuring a source
  tree containing multiple packages with a top-level `configure' script
  when the packages support different options, without spurious error
  messages about options that some of the packages support.  An
  unfortunate side effect is that option spelling errors are not
  diagnosed.  No better approach to this problem has been suggested so
  far.

IOW, "It's A Feature, Not A Bug".

Unfortunately, the behaviour can't easily be changed.