[GRASS5] network traffic

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jan 28 23:22:41 EST 2002

Roger Miller wrote:

> > OK, I've committed a fix to XDRIVER, so that it waits until either the
> > GRASS monitor socket or the X connection is readable. This should
> > eliminate the busy wait.
>
> Thanks, Glynn.  I checked the traffic generated on the ethernet at work and
> found that a single monitor generated traffic at about 17 kb/s.  Not very
> significant on that network, but even there mulitple monitors would generate
> enough extraneous traffic to slow down other communications.
>
> Now my problem is in getting the fix.  I'm not familiar with CVS, so I tried
> finding the fixed package using the html interface to the CVS repository.
> Nothing I found was very recent.  Where do I need to look?

I had neglected to sync the changes with the head, so you would need
to have selected the tag "releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0" from the
"branches" menu at the bottom of the page. However, I've now updated
the head.

The files in question are:

	src/display/devices/lib/Work.c
	src/display/devices/lib/connect_sock.c
	src/display/devices/lib/driverlib.h
	src/display/devices/lib/main.c
	src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER24/Work.c

and all have the following most recent log message:

	In get_connection_sock(), wait until either the socket or some other
	 descriptor (e.g. the X connection) is readable.

However, obtaining them via the CVS web interface isn't particularly
convenient, so I'll send you a tar file.