[GRASS5] VPF/VRF open source libriary

Bjørn Roald bjroald at online.no
Tue Jan 29 12:37:55 EST 2002

I did the same thing 7-8 years ago.  Never got into any serious work. I kind
of assumed something would show up with time, but it seems like all that
have been substantial are proprietary solutions.

> I like the data model pretty well, and would be interested in tools to
> read/write/build/validate such databases.

This is along the lines of what I am thinking about, seems like we might
want to join forces.  I would like to get the overall goal of the project
written down, as well as the scope of the initial effort, then post it.
Then we could see if there is any response to it.  If anybody have opinions
or input to such a document, please post it or reply to me personally.

I would also like to use some time to evaluate various available resources.
My  feeling is that a lot of available sources are based on the vpfview,
vpflib or vpfimport sources.  I do not know at this point if that is a
source base that can evolve into what I want, or if a general
redesign/re-write is needed.

Programming language will probably be C or C++.  If C++ is selected, we
might want to support a C API as well.

Anybody have any thoughts of how this can tie into or interact with the new
GRASS vector format?

PostgreSQL could also be an important technology used in the project.  The
data could be managed in the database and loaded to and from the VPF
database.

Bjorn