[GRASS5] New GIS & GRASS5 user with many questions...

Samizdatt Samizdatt at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 12:52:00 EST 2002

Alex Shevlakov wrote:

> Yes there are. Please download the Spearfish data from the GRASS main site.
> This is standard to begin with.
> You may also take other data and create them yourself.

Got it.

> My goal is to display county level data sets, currently in FIPS codes,
> onto a map of the US, and individual states. I'd like to deliver the
> images via webserver to clients using a browser.
> ----
> This is what program called 'grasslinks' handles; I have a working site
> at http://tigers.ru/webgrass_e
> ----------------------------------

Downloaded it, and it looks like what I need. :)

I don't remember exactly, but when executing "./configure", I think the gif support stuff wasn't compiled into the program. Do I need to download any additional code, or do anything to the default install of GRASS5 to enable the use of gif images in GRASSLinks?

> As I perused the
> programming manual, I noticed that there are limitations to html's ability to
> render clickable points, which I can work through later,
> -----------------------------
> I can't quite understand to that point. You want to click a point in browser
> and read associated info?
> --------------------------

I have a mix of data for the United States; some of the data is in SEA [State Economic Area] code, while the bulk is in County level FIPS codes & Zip codes. My PostgreSQL database & mod_perl front end do all the conversions from one code to another, so someone can retrieve information by many constraints, totally oblivious to the level of detail.

Example:

I'd like to know areas with greater than expected deaths for liver cancer for white males (which is in SEA code) that also suffer from above median levels of pollution (which is in County FIPS code) and break the results out into towns/cities that fall within the county fips codes for pollution & SEA codes for cancer deaths. The results are then displayed in either zip codes that fall within the county fips codes & SEA codes or by the towns that fall within the county fips codes. I have additional demographic data from the census STF files & Criminal justice data that are also added to the mix of data & selectable constraints.

The image displayed should show the results of the complex query by highlighting the county level fips codes, conforming to the user selectable constraints, on a color map. I'd like the highlighted areas to be clickable so when clicked, they will display cancer deaths for the other 30+ categories of cancer deaths along with other demographic information. This all works right now on a webserver by displaying the information in text form. It's pretty cool. But I'd like to have the results on a map for exploratory data analysis purposes, and because people like pretty pictures...

> but I'd like
> to know if I'm on the right track in using GIS & GRASS5.
> Absolutely.
> Also, any
> links, hints or info anyone can provide to additional information would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Have you looked at http://grass.itc.it (links, infos, htmls,...)?

Yes, I have visited the site & downloaded a number of the sample data sets & tutorial information. I'm just interested in getting as much information as possible before beginning my journey.

Thanks for the assistance!