[GRASS5] New GIS & GRASS5 user with many questions...

Alex Shevlakov alex at asrv.fcpf.ru
Wed Jan 30 04:58:37 EST 2002

GRASS5 is compiled, and appears to run, but are there any sample data
sets I can use to test and familiarize myself with GRASS5?
----------
Yes there are. Please download the Spearfish data from the GRASS main site.
This is standard to begin with.
You may also take other data and create them yourself.
**********  Output from testgrass.sh **********
org:/install/grass5.0.0pre3 # ./testgrass.sh
testing in UTM projection environment:
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       13
datum:      ** unknown (default: WGS84) **
ellipsoid:  ** unknown (default: WGS84) **
north:      4928000
south:      4914000
west:       590000
east:       609000
nsres:      50
ewres:      50
rows:       280
cols:       380

Test the -129 r.mapcalc bug:

EXECUTING testmap = ...  100%
CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR testmap
range: -129 -129
r.mapcalc bug test o.k.
Tests finished.
org:/install/grass5.0.0pre3
**********

My goal is to display county level data sets, currently in FIPS codes,
onto a map of the US, and individual states. I'd like to deliver the
images via webserver to clients using a browser.
----
This is what program called 'grasslinks' handles; I have a working site
at http://tigers.ru/webgrass_e
----------------------------------

As I perused the
programming manual, I noticed that there are limitations to html's ability to
render clickable points, which I can work through later,
-----------------------------
I can't quite understand to that point. You want to click a point in browser
and read associated info?
--------------------------
but I'd like
to know if I'm on the right track in using GIS & GRASS5.
Absolutely.
Also, any
links, hints or info anyone can provide to additional information would be
greatly appreciated.
Have you looked at http://grass.itc.it (links, infos, htmls,...)?

--alex