Baylor "mirror" was: Re: [GRASS5] Re: [winGRASS] some really slooooowwww functions

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Jan 30 08:16:07 EST 2002

(cc to grasslist at baylor.edu)

[we are discussing the problem, that the Baylor web site is
since month partially outdated. This leads to regular confusion
in the community concerning GRASS versions, documentation etc.

Up-to-date server is
 http://grass.itc.it

and its mirror sites listed at:
 http://grass.itc.it/grass.mirrors.html

]

Here a snap of the ongoing discussion in "grass5" list:

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:15:32PM +0100, Andreas Lange wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:28:09AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:09:21AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > > A lot of files are outdated at Baylor:
> >
> > > and so on... Is Baylor GRASS site still maintained? I have written
> > > some emails and asked for updates without response.
> > >
> > > Eventually we should at least add "outdated" to the list of
> > > mirrors, it's a potential source of confusion when people
> > > downloading from Baylor get oldish stuff.
> >
> > I'll second that.
> >
> > > What can we do?
> >
> > Mark the baylor mirror as "potentially outdated" and do not include
> > it in the premier list of mirror sites.
> > There is not much else we can do, if they do not respond to
> > inquiries.
> >

> I don't want to offend anybody, but i think that if baylor is not
> willing or able to use a mirroring tool (rsync), we can not list their
> site as "a mirror". This undermines the free software development
> cycle/procedure. The problem with the script was my fault, but i
> corrected it some time ago (unintentionally, by changing the whole
> cygwin part of the install script). But if the changes are not handed
> down to all sites, i am not able to provide support or a fix.

As a first step I have added
 partial outdated
http://grass.itc.it/index.html
http://grass.itc.it/index2.html
http://grass.itc.it/grass.mirrors.html

which appears on the (real) mirrors tomorrow.
If nothing changes, we have to remove USA from the world map.

Is anyone else in US interested to mirror the GRASS pages?
The size is 420MB currently (a rather stable size).

BTW: we have a new mirror in South Africa!
http://grass.ru.ac.za/index2.html

Cheers

 Markus Neteler