Baylor "mirror" was: Re: [GRASS5] Re: [winGRASS] some really slooooowwww functions

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Jan 30 07:15:32 EST 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:28:09AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 07:09:21AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Also the Baylor site is out of date; the latest version is 5.0.0pre3,
> > > but Baylor only has pre2 (and a broken install script).
>
> > A lot of files are outdated at Baylor:
>
> > and so on... Is Baylor GRASS site still maintained? I have written
> > some emails and asked for updates without response.
> >
> > Eventually we should at least add "outdated" to the list of
> > mirrors, it's a potential source of confusion when people
> > downloading from Baylor get oldish stuff.
>
> I'll second that.
>
> > What can we do?
>
> Mark the baylor mirror as "potentially outdated" and do not include
> it in the premier list of mirror sites.
> There is not much else we can do, if they do not respond to
> inquiries.

I don't want to offend anybody, but i think that if baylor is not
willing or able to use a mirroring tool (rsync), we can not list their
site as "a mirror". This undermines the free software development
cycle/procedure. The problem with the script was my fault, but i
corrected it some time ago (unintentionally, by changing the whole
cygwin part of the install script). But if the changes are not handed
down to all sites, i am not able to provide support or a fix.

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net