[GRASS5] [building questions]

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jun 17 11:32:29 EDT 2002

Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:

> > > o compile everything, incl NVIZ without PG (note, no ";" to
> > >   be used):
> > >           CFLAGS=-O2 LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure --without-postgres
> > >           make
> >
> > Because often people do not have the PG libs installed. We had
> > that problem with a release in the past, that's why we decided
> > to go for the "minimum" impact compilation to enable
> > everybody to use NVIZ.
>
> Ok - so what do you think about releasing several sets
> of grass binaries - with different libraries compiled in?

There isn't any real need.

The key issue is NVIZ. It can be built with or without PostgreSQL
support. If it's built with PostgreSQL support, it won't work at all
on systems which don't have libpq.

I'm not aware of any other programs which (currently) have optional
library dependencies. If they require a particular library, they
absolutely *require* it.

There may be a few cases where a library could be made optional, e.g.

+ NVIZ