[GRASS5] [bug #1156] (grass) Proposal for module description file: QA, requ. etc.

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Jun 28 11:20:24 EDT 2002

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1156

Subject: Proposal for module description file: QA, requ. etc.

grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources

To support the intended code splitting into topic oriented packages (GRASS-core,
GRASS-hydro etc.) we may add a file (XML?) attached to every module which
describes

- module status: quality (0, 0.25, 0.75, 1, 0=alpha, 1=fully functional)
- belongs_to: [raster, core, hydro, image, ...]
- requirements: [libpng, awk, perl, ...]

Then, after developing some parsing tool, we can much easier package
GRASS into above mentioned topic-oriented parcels and automatically
generate a description about requirements and quality.

Maintaining such a file shouldn't be much work...
Maybe we add another internal flag such as --interface-description which
outputs the contents of this file for postprocessing.
At time there is no way for a user to understand the status of a command,
with above flag it can be easily displayed and delivered along with each
command.

Markus