[GRASS5] [bug #922] (grass) NVIZ and tcl/tk AND Startup-script under Linux (SuSE 7.3)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Mar 6 16:47:10 EST 2002

Request Tracker wrote:

> 1. Installation was ok with the script, but nviz complained about not
> having access to libtk.so and libtcl.so, I had to link the most recent
> libtk8.3.so and libtcl8.3.so to the before mentioned files in /usr/lib
> (GRASS itself was not affected, only nviz).

We should ensure that Linux binary distributions are correctly
labelled, e.g. "RedHat 6.2 i386 Linux", not just "Linux". A package
with as many dependencies as GRASS is unlikely to work fully on a
distribution which differs from the one on which it was compiled.

> 2. I use a network-wide login on my machine which utilized YP which in
> turn needs a shell called "msh" as login-shell. msh is (at least here)
> a link to /bin/bash. Because msh itself is unknown to the
> ~grass5/etc/Init.sh-script, it fails to set the environment and the
> grass-console does not work properly (the tcl-surface is not
> affected).

This is arguably an installation bug. The fix is to ensure that SHELL
gets set to something which programs will recognise, e.g. by adding
something like:

	if [ "$SHELL" = /bin/msh ] ; then
		SHELL=/bin/bash
		export SHELL
	fi

to /etc/profile. I suspect that GRASS isn't the only program which
does case matching on $SHELL.

OTOH, GRASS should work with unknown shells. The main case statement
has a default case; does anyone know what's wrong with it?

> I solved the problem by adding a msh-case in Init.sh which does the
> same as bash (ok this is a hack :-) ).

You don't need to duplicate the bash case; you can just use "|", e.g.

	bash|msh)