[GRASS5] CVS update: web/bugtracking

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Mar 13 05:11:52 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 06:43:03PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 05:58:02PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > At time I am thinking about a web page reorganization - I would
> > really like to have a simple navigation system and a reduced number
> > of pages.
> >
> > I am still open for easy-to-setup implementations - adding the
> > same menu on all pages. This should be done from one menu file,
> > maybe with a simple patch and submit script?
>
> I'd be willing to work on such a thing.  One way to do this, is to use
> templates, and then just fill out the body section, making slight
> adjustments as needed.  A trickier solution could take a source html
> file and translate it to an output file, using something like xslt.

Thanks - let's try it for a few pages to warm up.

> I'd stay away from dynamic content, as that puts a burden on mirror
> sites.

A agree. So far I made a small PHP test, several sites do not support
it. We have to stay in plain HTML.

> Probably need to define some section for the pages, and start
> reorganizing around them.  Maybe you already have some ideas about this?

Yes, I have. In general several pages have to be merged and simplified.
And a better hierarchy is needed. I'll try to rewrite the main page
today with a proposal for a menu (e.g. all software links on top, all
docs and data links at left, logo in upper left corner, page contents
in the center surrounded by the menus, all stuff in tables).

Markus