[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Mar 22 03:09:11 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:01:03AM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
[...]
> >>5. v.out.shape exported only closed polygons.  I found no way around that
> >>behavior.  Is that inherent in shape files?
> >
> > Hi David...
> >

> This *should* produce a layer with area coverage, and one with line
> coverage in separate shape-files if you use option `type=both', but I
> can't recall if this functionality has ever been tested. I would think
> it would have been working when the module was originally released, but
> unused functionality tends to drift. Mostly you don't have combined
> layers in GRASS files, even though it supports them, so maybe it is
> another bug. I will be reviewing these export modules before final
> release, though I give the import modules higher priority because they
> really don't work at all.
>
> As to the properties of shapefiles, it is confusing. The spec allows
> each `shape' to have its own type defined independently, but AFAIK this
> is not  yet (and probably now won't be) supported in ArcView, so
> presumably most implementors avoid this. That is why the export for
> GRASS was written to create layers in separate files.

Hi David,

just curious: Are the SHAPE engine of GRASS (shape lib) and the SHAPELIB
in GDAL/OGR still in sync. At least they are not in CVS.
It might be a good idea to synchronize again as Frank Warmerdam and others
put some efforts into the SHAPELIB (frmts/shapelib in GDAL/OGR).

In general we may need a better solution how to deal with such important
libraries from 3rd parties. Hosting them as well in GRASS CVS will
tend to consolidate the non-synchronisation.

Markus