[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Fri Mar 22 11:19:10 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 04:54:52PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> We really have to think apart from all earlier discussion if we want
> to continue like that (release branch) or better concentrate on
> quick 5.0 fixing and enjoying 5.1.

this may well end up with quick 5.1 fixing and enjoying 5.2 ... etc.

It would be a similar style that is performed for MapServer right now and
people get increasingly trouble with the lack of stable and maintained
realease or even defined releases I can talk about with others.

The situation for MapServer is close to unsatisfactory for users
right now. We have deployed installation at our clients and
have difficulties to maintain updates for them.
I would not like to create a similar situation for GRASS (note that
I regard it desireable to deploy GRASS 5.0 commercially to gain
financial support for further GRASS developmemt).

True, sometimes it is sort of pain to handle management overhead.
GRASS is a huge Free Software project and naturally it is complicated
to manage it. However, if the 5.0 release management fails it would be a bad
sign.

	Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/