[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Fri Mar 22 13:24:11 EST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Actually, I suspect that's likely to be a catch-22 situation. In order
> to become truly fixed and completely stable, 5.0 needs a lot more
> testing than it will get while it remains "in development". To get an
> adequate level of testing, it will need to be put into real-world use;
> which probably means declaring it to be "released".

I doubt that the general public wants to be your beta-testers.  It sounds
to me like what we actually need is a systematic means of testing the
software.

Besides, I doubt that just calling 5.0 "stable" is going to net very many
more users then it has right now.  To the extent that new users do try it
we're likely to lose new users, because the software *isn't* stable.
The fact that you would even suggest that several minor releases would
immediately follow the initial release just proves that it isn't stable.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates