[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Mar 22 13:37:48 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 11:24:11AM -0700, Roger Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
> > Actually, I suspect that's likely to be a catch-22 situation. In order
> > to become truly fixed and completely stable, 5.0 needs a lot more
> > testing than it will get while it remains "in development". To get an
> > adequate level of testing, it will need to be put into real-world use;
> > which probably means declaring it to be "released".

> I doubt that the general public wants to be your beta-testers.  It sounds
> to me like what we actually need is a systematic means of testing the
> software.

This is why we all work to design and set up a process
to find a good pragmatic approach to this release problem.

I've made a couple of suggestions and discussed with Radim and
Markus at the last developers meeting in Trento.
(You can find a summary in the archives of this list.)
It is my goal to bring in my knowledge of several big free software
projects' processes.

Thus we need several trees and branches for the development
and we also need to stick to the process we set up
and focus on stable releases first!

This situation is so complicated, because GRASS is huge and big
and has a lot of developers who are only part-time hackers,
because they come from different disciplins than computer science.