[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 25 08:59:06 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:15:00PM +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Monday 25 March 2002 12:42 pm, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > > 4. I found that my code was deleted, so I was annoyed and discouraged
> > >     to contribute new code, if I know that it will be deleted on first
> > >     occasion.
> >
> > The code is still in CVS. Thus not deleted at all.
>
> Of course, but is not in checked out tree, I can use on floppy or web as
> archive.

We all know about the situation now.
All developers can put it in again, when the time is right.

> > If you cannot explain Glynn why your code is an improvement it might not
> > be good in the GRASS5 tree.
>
> I hope that situation is clear. I added new features, which may be useful,
> but i don't want change module in release branch short time before release.
> So changes went to MAIN. That shoud be correct.

Yes.
It wasn't not a directly fault on your or Glynn's part.
We all should not have allowed other changes on the release branch.
Thus you should have remerged additional changes on the trunk first.

> > > I cannot
> > > tell to user that he can use "new" v.out.shape because he has probably
> > > stable branch installed. If we had v.out.shape2 in one branch I can tell
> > > him that he can use unstable version:
> > > cd src/mapdev/v.out.shape2
> > > gmake5
> > > gmakelinks5
> >
> > You can.

> If so, how to do that?

Usually release branch and main branch shall not be that different.

> > You just have to stop letting a release branch rot
> > and divert too much from the MAIN stable branch.
> > A release branch is not for development it is for removing release
> > critical bugs!
> ???
> I know that, so I am looking for some place where to put new features.
> Currently such place does not exist because we have only one branch
> and v.out.shape2 should not be used because we have branches.
> (yes we use branches but only one branch is used at present)

Right now you can put in new features there, but
if it is very experimental, you can make a patch just for testing.
You can utilise your personal branch for this, if you like.
Note that you share some of our all responsibility to steer the
process, just putting some code somewhere without looking left or
right won't do. I know that this has not been your intention so this
is just analysis why I do not want to make it too easy to just drop
in code in CVS without trying to understand in which version it is
going to go.

In the end you have to decide whether your changes should aim at
5.0.x. or 5.1.x or even later. You need the right timing, too.

Right now we all can add some features and minor enhancements to the
main branch we are using now. We are in development mode for the 5.0.0 release.
This will be closed when we create the release branch in
approximatly 4 weeks (around 22th of April.)