[GRASS5] A naive opinion on how grass *should* work

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu May 2 14:25:08 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:42:21PM +0000, Carl Worth wrote:
> On May 2, Helena Mitasova wrote:
>  > Russell has a good point of view for the very first time user
>
> I agree. I've wrestled with several of the exact same problems.
>
> I still dislike everything involved with creating a new
> location/region before starting in with the data.

As a workaround I can provide a script to generate a LOCATION
from a raster map automatically (based on GDAL). Long time ago
I proposed to add this to a screen which appears earlier than
the standard startup screeen.

Once v.in.ogr is developed, above mentioned script can also
generate LOCATIONS from vector data. Of course this could be
done with more programming efforts already today, but I do not
find time for that.

If someone wants above "create_location.sh" (to be run outside
GRASS), let me know. The script is faking a GRASS environment to
make r.in.gdal working, then the create location feature of
r.in.gdal is used (yes, a dirty trick).

>  > with the improvements in r.in.gdal. (Russ use r.in.gdal instead of
>  > r.in.tiff).
>
> Oh? Does r.in.gdal do everything that r.in.riff and r.in.jpg do? If
> so, why don't we drop some duplicate code away, (eg. leave r.in.tiff
> merely as a symlink to r.in.gdal or some such)?

The only problem with r.in.gdal is that the libgdal is required.
This caused problems sometimes in the past with conflicting
libstdc++ versions (perhaps no longer, not sure).

In general r.in.gdal is candidate to become renamed to r.import.

[... another thread maybe ...]

Markus