[GRASS5] A naive opinion on how grass *should* work

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Fri May 3 05:56:43 EDT 2002

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Carl Worth writes:
>  > Maybe if a display command is given a map which is entirely outside
>  > the current region a useful message could be generated informing
>  > the user what happened and what could be done to fix it?).
>
> That's an excellent idea.  Tell the user "You asked for a view
> entirely off the selected map.  Use d.region rast=map to move the view
> onto the location of your map."

Maybe we can also add a flag (-a for "all" ?) to d.rast, d.vect and d.site.
The effect would be to change the current region so it will reflect the
raster, vector or dite file geographic extension before display ?

I guess this is relatively straithforward (some 20-30 lines of code :
a new flag to add in the parser, a call to G_put_window(), and run
d.erase before displaying the raster file.

A script that call g.region, d.erase and d.rast will do the same...

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton