[GRASS5] ANN: GRASS on iPAQ/Linux available

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue May 7 11:48:59 EDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:39:13PM +0000, Carl Worth wrote:
> On May 7, Markus Neteler wrote:
>  > Jan Stankovic and me may announce that (baby)GRASS is
>  > running now on iPAQ/Linux:
>  >
>  > http://grass.itc.it/grasshandheld.html
>
> I'll follow that up by announcing that I've packaged up these same
> binaries and contributed them to the Familiar distribution.
>
> This means, that iPAQ users running Familiar can now simply do:
>
> 	ipkg install grass
>
> to download and install grass. This will currently work as long as the
> user is pointing at Familiar's "unstable" feed[*]. By the time
> Familiar 0.5.3 is released, grass will be available as part of the
> standard distribution.
>
> If someone would like to install the package without pointing at the
> unstable feed, then the following command will also work:
>
> 	ipkg install http://familiar.handhelds.org/familiar/feeds/unstable/packages/armv4l/grass_5.0.0-20020507-1_arm.ipk

Congrats, Carl!

> A few notes on the package I made:
>
> 	o It installs its binary as /usr/bin/grass5
>
> 	o All other files are in /usr/share/grass/,
> 	(eg. /usr/share/grass/bin, /usr/share/grass/etc, etc.)  This
> 	layout matches standard (FHS) practice and is cleaner than
> 	installing directories such as
> 	dist.armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu. Perhaps I should change it to
> 	/usr/share/grass5 though?
>
> 	o There is a bug in ipkg preventing it from installing
> 	packages with hard links correctly. So I expanded all the
> 	files in /usr/share/grass/bin into separate files. This bloats
> 	the package a bit, but I also stripped all the libraries which
> 	compensates almost exactly. (I plan to fix the bug in ipkg
> 	soon *blush*).
>
> Things I would like to do next include making all of GRASS available
> in separate packages, creating a better mechanism for doing partial
> builds of grass, and adding package creation targets to the GRASS
> makefiles.

Yes - my scripts are pretty rough. We need a more conventient method.

Carl, may I ask you to add your notes to
web/grasshandheld.html
?
cvs -z3 co web
will get the pages to you.

>  > Notes:
>  > - we have to look again at d.zoom to get the 1-button mode working
>  >   (it runs on iX86/Linux, but not on iPAQ)
>
> I'll be looking into this right away.

Perfect.

>  > - we still do not get "debugging symbols" present, but anyway - GRASS
>  >   is working now
>
> Markus, you asked for this. Your script passes "-s" to ld which
> removes the debugging symbols, (although strip can shrink the
> libraries you generated a bit more).

I am not sure - I had disabled LDFLAGS="". In the head file is written
src/CMD/head/head
CC                  = gcc
FC                  =
LEX                 = flex
[...]
COMPILE_FLAGS       = -g -gstabs
LINK_FLAGS          =

There is no "-s", also not in the script (see latest CVS version):
[...]
CFLAGS="-g -gstabs" LDFLAGS=""  ./configure --prefix=...
[...]

Still there are no debugging symbols.
cd dist.armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu/etc/bin/cmd
gdb d.vect
 GNU gdb 2002-04-01-cvs
 [...]
 This GDB was configured as "arm-linux"...(no debugging symbols found)...
 (gdb)

There must be another trick.

Markus