[GRASS5] ANN: GRASS on iPAQ/Linux available

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue May 7 20:33:14 EDT 2002

Carl Worth wrote:

> 	o All other files are in /usr/share/grass/,
> 	(eg. /usr/share/grass/bin, /usr/share/grass/etc, etc.)  This
> 	layout matches standard (FHS) practice and is cleaner than
> 	installing directories such as
> 	dist.armv4l-unknown-linux-gnu. Perhaps I should change it to
> 	/usr/share/grass5 though?

/usr/share is supposed to be for files which are shareable across
architectures, i.e. not executables or libraries. I suggest using
/opt.

Basically, the GISBASE concept (i.e. all of GRASS residing within a
single directory) is at odds with the conventional Unix directory
structure (files grouped by type rather than by package) of FHS.

> 	o There is a bug in ipkg preventing it from installing
> 	packages with hard links correctly. So I expanded all the
> 	files in /usr/share/grass/bin into separate files. This bloats
> 	the package a bit, but I also stripped all the libraries which
> 	compensates almost exactly. (I plan to fix the bug in ipkg
> 	soon *blush*).

Rather than making lots of copies of front.end, either use symlinks,
or generate the links with an installation script.