[GRASS5] i18n for tcltkgrass

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri May 17 11:11:35 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 04:59:37PM +0200, ser at it-zone.org wrote:
> --->[Quoting Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>:]
>

> > Alex Shevlakov wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to attempt making permanent changes to tcltk
> > > scripts  (especially, tcltkgrass)  code  in order  to
> > > internationalize  them.  As  much as  I  know,  there
> > > is  a  Tcl  built-in  'msgcat'  command  allowing  to
> > > internationalize messages.
> >
> > AFAICT,  the  msgcat  package  was added  in  Tcl  8.1;
> > versions prior to that won't have it.
> >
> > Personally,  I  don't  think that  it's  reasonable  to
> > require 8.1+  in order to use  tcltkgrass. Instead, any
> > changes should  be made in  such a way  that tcltkgrass
> > continues to  work with  older versions of  Tcl (albeit
> > without I18N).
>
> Hello Glynn,
> maybe for you internationalisation  is not important, but
> for  me  - essencial.  We  have  to  do it  with  minimal
> difficulties,  of course,  but if  we have  to use  newer
> Tcl/Tk - we should do it.

... I still dream of an extension to tcltkgrass (or whatever)
to utilize the "--interface-description", e.g.

  d.rast --interface-description

to generate the tcltkgrass menu windows on the fly. This should
solve the internationalization problems (since "only" the modules
themselves must be internationalized, not also the menu system)
along with a reduction of maintenance workload (to synchronize
tcltkgrass with the module parameters).

Just a useless comment,

 Markus